Excavations in Area D
Area D is located on the west of the site and contains Enclosure 1 with the Main Temple Complex dedicated to Tutu, Neith and Tapshay, Enclosure 4 (D/7) with the West Church Complex (D/6) and the West Tombs, and the West Temple Complex (D/10) dedicated to Neith and Tapshay. Excavations in this area were conducted over the course of about ten field-seasons, in the years between 1991 and 2002.
- Main Temple
- This stone temple is surrounded by Enclosure 1 and is accompanied by a series of shrines and a monumental stone gateway on its east. The Main Temple and Shrine 1 were both dedicated to the god Tutu.
- Enclosure 4
- The enclosure contains the West Temple and West Church Complex. Additionally, it has several graves and is also the find-spot of the Gladiator Jug.
- West Tombs
- These two monumental sandstone tombs are located within Enclosure 4. The tombs were constructed in classical style and probably date to the first centuries CE.
- West Church Complex
- This complex consists of a two-roomed church with a multiple-roomed structure adjoining the church on its south.
- West Temple
- Separated from the Main Temple and Enclosure 1, the smaller West Temple is situated within its own enclosure and has a different axis.
- Detailed Plan of Area D
- Detailed Plan of Enclosure 4