Australian European University Institute Fellowships Association Inc.
Advisory Guidelines for the Current Round of AEUIFAI Fellowships
Applications are now invited for Australian European University Institute Fellowships which provide the opportunity to carry out research at the European University Institute in Florence – the high profile research institute established by the Member States of the founding European Communities in 1972. A six-month Postdoctoral Fellowship will be offered for the period January-June 2011. Two three-month Postgraduate Fellowships will be offered for the period September-December 2010. In addition, one fellowship will be offered for a Visiting (established) Scholar from an Australian university for one month during the period January-June 2011.
The Fellowships are available to postgraduates and early career researchers currently undertaking research in history, law, economics, and social and political sciences who are able to identify a direct benefit for their research from a period of residence at the EUI. The Postgraduate applicants must be at an advanced stage of their research, and the Postdoctoral Fellowship is available to those who have graduated with a PhD qualification within the last five years.
The Postdoctoral Fellowship covers EUI fees for six months and provides a one-off payment of $12,000 to contribute to travel (including insurance) and subsistence. The Postgraduate Fellowships similarly cover EUI fees for three months and provide a one-off payment of $7,000 to contribute to travel (including insurance) and subsistence. For the Visiting Scholar, the AEUIFAI will cover only the EUI fees. The successful candidates in both categories will also have access to the facilities of the Monash University Prato Centre and are encouraged to participate in its activities. At the conclusion of the award period, will have the opportunity to present a paper at the Monash University London Centre. At the conclusion of their tenure, awardees must submit a report to the AEUIFAI on their activities and outcomes.
All applications and letters of support are to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 19 March 2010. Please stipulate in the subject line of the email your 'surname', and whether your application is an 'AEUIFAI Postdoctoral Application' or an 'AEUIFAI Postgraduate Application' or a ‘Visiting Scholar Application’.
There is no special application form. Applications must include:
- a CV;
- a description (no more than 2000 words) of the applicant’s research project (background, approach, methodology, significance), including the relevance of the EUI to the work to be covered during tenure there (please consult the EUI website for research interests of current faculty and related projects);
- a 250 word abstract summarizing the proposal and its significance;
- Postdoctoral applicants must include plans to publish in a peer reviewed journal as a result of the period of residence at the EUI, and
- Postgraduate applicants must include a complete academic transcript.
Two confidential letters of support (one from the thesis supervisor in the case of postgraduates) are to be sent directly by separate email cover (with subject line stipulating level of award and applicant’s surname).
In terms of commencement dates:
- The Visiting Scholar’s tenure of one month is to be taken, by arrangement, in the period 9 January-30 June 2011.
- The Postdoctoral Fellowship is to be taken up in the period stipulated, viz. 9 January-30 June 2011. The successful applicant should also be prepared to present a public lecture towards the end of the tenure (to be held at Monash Prato) or at their home institution after their return to Australia.
- The Postgraduate Fellowships are to be taken up September-December 2010.
Further information on the AEUIFAI is available at: http://www.arts.monash.edu.au/history/aeuifai/; on the European University Institute at: http://www.eui.eu; and on the Monash University Prato Centre at http://www.ita.monash.edu; or from the Secretary, Dr Peter Howard, e-mail: email@example.com. The selection committee reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Applications close 19 March 2010. The successful applicants will be notified by late June 2010.
The Australian European University Institute Fellowships Association Incorporated and its award scheme is currently generously sponsored by Monash University, the University of Melbourne, The University of Newcastle, The Australian Catholic University and the Delegation of the European Commission to Australia and New Zealand.