HUMCASS Areas of Supervision
The School can provide supervision of research theses in the following areas, although this list is not complete or exhaustive. Supervisors' areas of interest range widely
Australian Indigenous Studies
- Julie Fenley
- Australian Indigenous studies
- Andrew Gunstone
- Indigenous studies, Indigenous politics, Indigenous history
Australian studies; Australian politics; Australian history
Communications and Writing
- Paul Atkinson
- Henri Bergson and process philosophy; the philosophy of time; philosophy of science; visual aesthetics; comic book narration; film form; affect theory; semiotics and pragmatics.
- Simon Cooper
- Technology; cyberculture; mass communications; continental philosophy; psychoanalysis; politics; aesthetics; citizenship; screen media; literature; music; ethics.
- Susan Yell
- Communication literacies and practices; textual analysis; discourse analysis; social semiotics; gender, identity and media; media/cultural policy; communication technologies and social relations.
Community Welfare and Counselling
- Olga Bursian
- Social policy; multiculturalism; social inclusion; comparative welfare states; community development; labour market issues; democratic citizenship; youth issues; post-colonial theory; feminist standpoint theory; subjugated knowledges; cross cultural epistemology and ontology; decolonising research methods; Russian civil society and social policy
- Karen Crinall
- Homelessness; social documentary photography; visual representations of women and disadvantage, violence against women, family violence prevention, visual sociology and visual studies.
- Chris Laming
- Profeminist Men's Programs, Men's Violence Against Women, Family Violence Prevention, Personal Construct Theory, Criminal Justice Responses to Family Violence.
- Marg Lynn
- Community analysis/discourses of community; community development; rural human services; integrated social development in growth corridors; action research.
- Debra Manning
- Alternative research methodologies; creative writing in research; transformative and emancipatory social and community welfare theory and practice; culturally sensitive pedagogies; transformative community development and casework
Criminal Justice and Public Policy
- David Baker
- Public order policing, histories of policing, comparative policing, state and federal police in Australia, police unionism, transnational policing, police and politics.
- Beth Edmondson
- International relations; Australian politics; Australian policy; international governance
- Erik Eklund
- Culture and identity in Australian mining and industrial towns; labour history, trade union and business history, heritage and public history; human research ethics; qualititative research methods especially oral interviews; and intersection between academic knowledge and the public sphere through the media, teaching and community-university interaction.
- Julie Fenley
- Holocaust history, public history, oral history and museum studies.
- Stuart Levy
- Theories of international relations; state sovereignty; international law of the sea; understanding the undergraduate experience
- Keith Wilson
- Military history; American Civil War; African American history and culture; Areas of US politics
- Louise North
- Gender and newsroom culture, feminist media studies, women in journalism, media ethics, journalism education, journalism studies, the future of journalism
- Mark Symmons
- Road safety (Driver behaviour, Heavy vehicles, Fleets, Motorcyclists, Mobile phones, Road safety & the environment), Sports psychology, Sensory substitution systems for the blind, Touch, Virtual reality (Simulators, Haptics, Training, Presence)
- George Van Doorn
- Cross-modal integration and domination, haptic and temperature perception, research design and statistics, active and passive perception
- James Gomez
- New media; online citizen journalism; advocacy and election campaigns; policy communication; crisis and risk communications; strategic communications; public relations and its relationship with civil society, democracy and human rights; with a special focus on the East, Southeast and South Asian regions
Sociology and Social Research
- Harry Ballis
- Work; work and organisations; health; gambling; religion
- Michelle Duffy
- Australian studies; critical theory; cultural theory; ethnicity, immigration, refugees; geography human; globalisation; Indigenous studies; music, culture and society; sociology; social theory
- Catherine Earl
- 20th and 21st century Vietnam, especially Ho Chi Minh City; post-conflict society; social change; social mobility; middle classes; university students; higher education; gender; sexuality and culture; qualitative methodologies; oral history; local history; social anthropology; sociology; sociology of Pierre Bourdieu; social theory.
- Vaughan Higgins
- Rural development and restructuring; agri-food regulation; natural resource management; globalization; governmentality; sociology of science and technology
- Lyle Munro
- The sociology of social problems; social movement theory and practice especially the animal rights and environmental movements; sociology of education especially school to work/higher education transitions.