Dr Stuart Levy
Coordinator Diploma of Tertiary Studies
|Phone:||+61 3 990 26939 or +61 3 512 26939|
|Fax:||+61 3 990 26359 or +61 3 512 26359|
|Office:||2W 271, Gippsland Campus|
Stuart is the coordinator of the Diploma of Tertiary Studies (DoTS) Pathway and is based on the Gippsland Campus of Monash University with some teaching and coordination duties on the Berwick campus. He also works closely with colleagues in the History-Politics section at the Gippsland Campus in the discipline of International Relations and with colleagues at Monash South Africa in the Foundation Programme. In 2010 the DoTS Pathway received a Special Commendation, Vice Chancellor’s Award for Programs that Enhance Learning.
- Stuart works across two fields. He maintains an interest from his PhD. research in International Relations and specifically the nature of state sovereignty. This interest is pursued through collaborative research and publications with Dr. Beth Edmondson and the supervision of HDR students.
- Stuart also has a research interests in the First Year in Higher Education, student experiences of transition to tertiary study and the pathways to higher education that address social inclusion.
Current research projects
Stuart is currently working on 2 book projects due for publication in 2011.
- The first is co-authored with Dr. Beth Edmondson and an examination of the impediments and challenges of the international political community’s responses to global climate change. It is provisionally entitled The End of Progress: water, order and climate change.
- The second book is co-authored with Dr. Catherine Earl and examines the experiences of pathway students transitioning into tertiary study at the Gippsland and South African campuses of Monash University. It is entitled Student Voices in Transition: The experiences of pathways students.
- Student Voices in Transition: The Experiences of Pathway Students, (forthcoming), Van Schaik, Johannesburg, (co-authored with Catherine Earl)
- International Relations: Nurturing Reality (2008), Pearson Education Australia, Frenchs Forest NSW (co-authored with Beth Edmondson)
- Levy, S., 2008, Accommodating student diversity in the first year curriculum design, First Year Experience and Curriculum Design, Australian Learning and Teaching Council, Australia
- “Student Motivation: Premise, Effective Practice and Policy” (2008), Australian Journal of Teacher Education, vol 33, no 5, pp. 14-28 (co-authored with Holly Campbell)
- “Promoting Motivation and Engagement among academically at risk students” (2007), Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning, vol 9, no 3, pp. 18-25 (co-authored with Holly Campbell)
- “Who deserves a chance? Identifying talent that might otherwise be lost in university admissions processes” (2007), in J. Thomas (ed.), The 10th Pacific Rim First Year in Higher Education Conference: Regenerate, Engage, Experiment - Conference Proceedings (co-authored with Catherine Haigh and Pam Reynolds).
Stuart annually teaches the core units of the Diploma of Tertiary Studies at the Gippsland and Berwick campuses and on occasion takes classes in units in the History-Politics section at the Gippsland Campus.