Great success for SAMSS academics!
Congratulations to Dr David Baker and Dr Mark Symmons, both members of winning Arc Linkage grant application teams!
Dr David Baker's project summary
- This project will study best practice for care planning of children whose primary carers are incarcerated within the Australian criminal justice system. It will develop a strategic framework for future policy and practice in Australian care planning with the aim of improving outcomes for both parents and children. David's research component of the project is to explore best practice of how police initially should take responsibilty for children transferred from a primary carer upon arrest, remand in custody or entry to prison. Research suggests that arrest is often the most stressful stage for children and policies or guidelines are needed for police practice in this area.
- Funding - $286,188 over 3 years (2011-2013)
- Partner Organisations -Department of Human Services, Vic, Department of Human Services Victoria-Child Safety Commissioner, Department of Justice, Victoria, Prison Fellowship Australia - Victoria, SHINE for Kids Co-operative Ltd, VACRO - Victorian Association for the Care and Rehabilitation of Offenders.
Dr Mark Symmons' project summary
- Through in-depth crash investigations and motorcyclist interviews, this project will determine risk factors for serious motorcycle crashes in an environment of increased riding, more older riders, and changing traffic conditions. Outcomes will be evidence-based strategies to improve road system management and road safety.
- Funding - $336,000 over 3 years (2011-2013), plus $115,000 from the partners.
- Partner Organisations - Department of Justice, Victoria, Transport Accident Commission (TAC), VicRoads, Victorian Automobile Chamber of Commerce , Victoria Police